JOHNSON, Cornell Lamont, Sr.

Cornell Lamont Johnson, Sr.

Birth: May 10, 1968
Death: January 16, 2017


Cornell Johnson, Sr., a long-time resident of Dothan, passed away January 16, 2017. He was 48.

Funeral services will be held on Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 11 am in the Sun-set Funeral Home Chapel with Pastor Orlando Grimsley and Pastor Christopher Jones officiating. Burial will follow in Gates of Heaven Cemetery with Robert Byrd directing. Family will receive friends at the funeral home from 5-7 pm on Friday, January 20, 2017.

Cornell Johnson, Sr. entered this world May 10, 1968 to W.C. Johnson and Marie Davis. Cornell graduated from Northview High School in 1987. He was a member of Stringer Street A.M.E. Church in his early age where he served faithful through adulthood. Later in life, with his family, they united at Faith Victory Christian Center. He served in the United States Army as a cook and later decided to keep it as a hobby. Cornell loved spending time playing chess with his partner Lil Grimsley, Terry Holt, and Roderick Jones and shooting the breeze. Cornell’s fa-vorite saying was “Hold Your Head Back,” you know what I mean. He was excited about his place in the Kingdom of God.

Cornell is preceded in death by his father, W.C. Johnson, grandmothers, Ellen Arnette and Mary Lizzie Johnson; grandson, Mason Johnson, and his grandfather, O.G. Barber.

He is survived by his loving wife, Valeria Johnson of 30 years; his sons, Cornell (Kierra) Johnson, Cassius (Jasmine) Johnson; 5 grandchildren, Amyiah Johnson, Jaylon Lensby, Kadance Johnson, Olivia Johnson, and Gabriella Johnson; his mother, Marie (John) Davis; brother, Gregory Johnson of Chesapeake, VA; sisters Tanja (Rick) Hamilton of Appling, GA, Pamelia (Silvester) Hawkins; sisters-in-law, Vanessa (Pastor O. Grimsley) Grimsley, Veronica (Timothy Ardis) Walker; mother in law, Margaret Graham; his father-in-law, Freddie (Joann) Hawkins; and a host of nieces and nephews, friends and family.

Robert Byrd of Sunset Memorial Park Funeral Home (334) 983-6604

Criminal Details

Rae Larkins – Jan 18, 2017

54-year-old facing murder charges after Dothan shooting

DOTHAN, AL (WSFA) – A 54-year-old is behind bars after a shooting and firearm assault that left one person dead, according to the Dothan Police Department. Dothan police say Jeffrey Lloyd Culpepper is charged with one count of murder and one count of attempted assault first-degree.

On Monday night, officers were called to Sandher’s Grocery in the 1100 block of Third Avenue after receiving a call of shots fired. When they arrived on the scene several people who were believed to be involved in the incident were detained. Officers then discovered the body of 48-year-old Cornell Lamont Johnson in the parking lot.

Investigators and crime scene technicians began working to piece together the events that led up to Johnson’s death. After a thorough investigation, it was revealed that everyone involved in the incident had been part of an ongoing dispute stretching over several days. Police believe loaned property was the subject of the argument.

“I heard two gunshots and then I heard pop pop pop pop,” said Valerie Minatee, who was a couple homes away. She came outside to see what was happening. “I said uh oh its right around by the house, so I just, I was still on my porch siting down and then here come all the police…I said “something done happened, “Minatee recalled.

According to investigators, both men arrived at Sandher’s Grocery where a verbal altercation ensued. After the altercation, Culpepper got out of his vehicle and shot Johnson, according to investigators.

Culpepper then got back into his vehicle, which was struck by another person who was present during the verbal altercation. Shots were also exchanged following that collision.

“Once the initial shot had occurred, the suspect was driving his car around the parking lot when one of the family members of the victim drove his car into the suspect’s car in an attempt to I guess take him out,” said Dothan Chief of Police Steven Parrish. “The suspect fired four rounds into that car and nearly missed the driver of that vehicle.”

Security cameras were rolling, which helped investigators identify and arrest Culpepper, but the cameras did not capture the shooting or collision.

Culpepper was taken into custody and is being held without bond.

Police do not anticipate any other people will be charged at this time.

Source: View Article